My baby Bear is not so much of a baby any more. And even though over these last two years, I’ve found it increasingly difficult to find time to write, I always show up for the birthday posts, if nothing more than for a little record keeping. This is only his second, but oh, what has changed in a year!
Bear, here are the things that I think of when I think about your now two-year-old self.
- Your goofy, expressive little face, complete with ever so slightly chipped front tooth from one of your many falls. You are so cute, both when angry and happy.
- Speaking of falls, you are full of adventure and are quite the little dare devil. You seem to be fixated on confronting your own mortality, taking your little pink hand me down trike to the top of the tallest hill you could see and then rolling down at break-neck speed, with little to no regard to the effect you are having on the cardiac output of those watching.
- You are so interested in everything technological. You somehow configured our Wii remote to function as a universal remote for the TV and you constantly are accessing settings I didn’t know existed on my phone.
- You love cars. You brum them around the house, up and down walls and then park then in neat little rows. I find them everywhere, in the pantry, in my handbag, in my bed. You are obsessed.
- Time outs. When you get a time out for being naughty, you dramatically throw yourself to the side and sit there sulking until it’s over.
- When you are angry, you just walk around kicking things, and throwing whatever your little hands can reach on the floor.
- Yet despite the fact you can be more than a little rough, when someone is genuinely crying, you always go and hug them, and say ‘You OK. You OK.’
- When dogs in our street bark, you yell ‘Woof Woof!’ back at them.
- When you eat something you love, you close your eyes, and sway from side to side, while going ‘mmmm’.
- When we go somewhere, you always come back every so often and say ‘Mama’ and when I bend down, you give me a quick hug before going back to play.
- When you want a kiss in bed at night, you pucker your lips until I kiss your nose.
- You love saying bye bye. You even said ‘Bubye’, complete with sweet little hand wave, to the Millennium Falcon as it flew off when you were watching the new Star Wars with Daddy and Moo.
- When something unpleasant happens, whether it be you dropping your cup on the floor, or a raging warehouse fire you saw on the news, your reaction is the same. A shake of the head and a concerned ‘Oh No! Oh Dear!
- You love to just be with your Daddy, and watch him do things on his computer.
- You love to help with building things. One time, I even watched you patiently hold part of an elliptical in place while Papa screwed it together.
- You are legitimately the most ticklish kid alive. And if we stop when we think you’ve had enough, you always ask for more.
- You would live one blueberries alone given the option. More than once, I have found you at the end of a stolen punnet.
I love you so much Bear. Here’s to two-year-old you! Happy birthday my sweet boy!